- Renting a car? Be sure to speak to your insurance professional to determine if you require the extra insurance offered by the rental agency.
- Don’t post your travel plans or picture updates on social media sites. Wait to post your photos and adventures upon your return.
- Ask a trusted neighbour or relative to pick up your mail and newspaper, take out and bring in trash and recycle while you’re away. It only takes a few days for a home to appear empty.
- Hire a lawn service to maintain your yard. Not only will your home look well cared for, you’ll have less yard work to do upon your return.
- Unplug computers and other devices before leaving in case of electrical surges.
- Before leaving, the heating cooling experts at Fahrhall recommend setting your home’s thermostat to 76 – 78 degrees to keep humidity in the home low and the home cool enough for house plants.
- Check that your sump pump is working and the battery backup is charged in event of a power outage.
- If driving on your vacation getaway, have your car serviced well in advance of your departure date – just in case there is a serious problem, you’ll have time to fix it or make other arrangements.
- If you’re travelling out of province, even the government of Ontario strongly recommends travel insurance – be sure your travel medical insurance is up to date.
We wish you many memories and safe travels – enjoy!